Our high school sailing program seeks to teach and refine the boating skills of North Fork area students engaged in the sport of sailing by emphasizing dinghy and keelboat racing as a preferred method of advancing skill levels and holding the interest of young sailors.
We offer a safe, structured and engaging program through which teenagers from our local community can learn the basics of sailing for the first time without obliging their families to make a large initial financial investment. We also aim to provide experienced sailors with advanced training and exposure to highly competitive racing against schools from other areas to expand the scope of the their skills and experience and to promote friendships with sailors outside of the North Fork.
benefits of joining a high school sailing team
- Sailing is a co-educational competitive sport
- Colleges actively recruit talented sailors for their college teams
- Sailing not only involves a high level of physical conditioning and agility but it teaches students about navigation, physics, the marine environment, and the importance of teamwork
- Sailing is a worldwide activity that literally can take you around the glove and provide instant introduction to people in every county
- Sailing is a sport that students will enjoy throughout their lives.
WHAT WE BRING TO THE TABLE
- Assistance with the logistics of setting up a high school sailing team, including developing talking points for presentations to school boards and discussions with school administrators
- Supervised use of facilities of Old Cove Yacht Club in New Suffolk, NY for training offering the highest standard of safe, quality access to the water
- Professional coaching during practice and regattas
- Supervised use of a fleet of 420s, Lasers and keelboats
- Safety and rescue boats on the water at all times